MBBS in Azerbaijan
MBBS in Azerbaijan for Indian students might sound a new option as it recently started English medium course for foreign students. All MBBS admissions in Azerbaijan are done according to the eligibility criteria set by NMC/MCI. The MBBS course in Azerbaijan is taught completely in English medium.
As of now, the eligibility requirement for MBBS in Azerbaijan for Indians is 50% marks, NEET qualification & 17 years age. The MBBS degree from Azerbaijan (MD Physician) is recognized worldwide, as all universities are approved & recognized by WHO (World Health Organization).
Table of Contents
- Medium of Instruction
- Course Syllabus
- Classes/Exams & Grading
- Hostel Facilities
- Career Opportunities
Benefits of MBBS in Azerbaijan
The interest among Indian students to study MBBS in Azerbaijan is rising rapidly due to the superior rankings and excellent education standards of universities. Some of the most important and main benefits of studying MBBS in Azerbaijan for Indian students are :
- No Donation : There is no donation amount needed to study MBBS in Azerbaijan, as they are direct & solely on the basis of eligibility.
- Global Recognition : All government & private medical universities in Azerbaijan are recognized by WHO (World Health Organization).
- Valid Degree : The MBBS degree in Azerbaijan is known by the name “MD Physician” and it is equivalent to “MBBS” degree in India.
- Easy Eligibility : The eligibility requirement for Indian students to study MBBS in Azerbaijan is 50% marks in PCB, NEET qualification & 17 years of age.
- Direct Admission : Students can apply for MBBS admission in Azerbaijan online, as they only need to provide scans of required documents.
- Moderate Fees : Azerbaijan universities offer an affordable course & the total MBBS fees in Azerbaijan is INR 28 Lacs (Including tuition fee & hostel).
- Course Duration : The duration of MBBS in Azerbaijan is 6 years & it complies with NMC’s prescribed duration (54 months course + 12 months internship).
- Medium of Instruction : The entire course of MBBS in Azerbaijan is in English medium for Indian students from the beginning till the end of course.
- Small Classes : Medical classes in Azerbaijan have 13-15 students, which helps students to communicate frankly with their teachers and clear their doubts.
MBBS Admission in Azerbaijan
Indian students can apply for direct admission to study MBBS in Azerbaijan either online or by visiting any of our offices in India. They should apply before the last date of application as a limited number of seats are available for MBBS in Azerbaijan in each university. The step-by-step process of MBBS admission in Azerbaijan for Indian students is outlined below :
- Students must submit scans of marksheets, NEET qualification & passport (Aadhar, if passport not ready).
- University issues an admission letter, confirming the student’s successful admission to MBBS in Azerbaijan.
- Till now, no online test has been made compulsory by university for MBBS admission in Azerbaijan.
- Students must submit original marksheets, valid passport, passport size photos photos & medical reports.
- University then issues the invitation letter in student’s name for study visa & entry to Azerbaijan.
- We apply all documents along with invitation letter in Azerbaijan embassy and collect passport with visa.
- We inform the students about their departure date and provide a list of items that they should carry.
- We assist students in currency exchange, if they wishes to pay fees in US Dollars after arrival in Azerbaijan.
- We organize the departure of students in groups from New Delhi to Azerbaijan (Up to the destination city).
- One of our representative meets the students at airport in Azerbaijan and assists them for all the further procedures.
MBBS Eligibility in Azerbaijan
The eligibility to study MBBS in Azerbaijan for Indian students is the same as specified by NMC (National Medical Commission) for studying MBBS abroad in other countries. The exact MBBS eligibility in Azerbaijan for Indians is as given below :
- 50% Marks : The student must have minimum 50% marks in PCB (Physics, Chemistry & Biology) in intermediate/12th standard/equivalent. This score should be minimum 40% marks, if the student is from reserved category (SC/ST/OBC).
- NEET Qualification : Indian students must be qualified in NEET exam in 2023/2022/2021 to be eligible to study MBBS in Azerbaijan. As per the current rules of NMC, only NEET qualified students will be allowed to appear in the NEXT/FMGE in India after completion of MBBS from Azerbaijan.
- Minimum Age : Student must complete full 17 years age by 31st December of the current year i.e. the year in which they are applying for admission to MBBS in Azerbaijan.
MBBS Degree from Azerbaijan
The MBBS degree from Azerbaijan is recognized by WHO & NMC, which makes it completely valid in India as well other countries of the world.
- The recognition of medical universities of Azerbaijan by WHO is published on WDOMS (World Directory of Medical Schools) website.
- As NMC (National Medical Commission) no more publishes any list on it’s website, it recommends students to pursue MBBS only from universities listed on WDOMS.
- All Azerbaijan medical universities award MD (Physician) degree to students on successful completion of MBBS education.
- This MD (Physician) degree from Azerbaijan is equivalent to MBBS degree in India, as they are just different names of the same degree according to each country’s naming convention.
- Thousands of Indians have completed their MBBS from Azerbaijan in the past few decades, who are now working in government & private hospitals in India & abroad.
MBBS Duration in Azerbaijan
The duration of MBBS in Azerbaijan is 5 years 8 months (Including 1 year internship), which is often generalized as 6 years by majority of people in India.
- Entire MBBS course of 6 years in Azerbaijan is taught in English medium to Indian students (Including classes, lectures, tests & exams).
- It includes the full MBBS course and internship, which are necessary to work as a doctor in Azerbaijan, India or any other country.
- The duration of MBBS in Azerbaijan abides by the new rules set by NMC/MCI in (Nov’2021) for Indian students to study MBBS abroad.
- As per new rules of NMC, MBBS from any abroad country should have duration of 54 month (4.5 years) course + 12 months (1 year) internship.
Medium of Instruction in Azerbaijan
The medium of instruction of MBBS in Azerbaijan is English for Indian students & other foreigners too, who wish to study in English medium.
- The entire course of MBBS in Azerbaijan is taught in English, except when the students have to interact with local Azerbaijani patients in hospitals.
- All classes, lectures, test and exams (Whether in university or in hospital) are conducted in English during the entire medical course.
- Foreign students learn Azeri language as a subject from the very beginning of course along with other MBBS subjects.
- By the time they reach 3rd year of their MBBS course, they become fluent in Azeri and do not face any problems in interacting with patients in hospitals too.
- Knowledge of Azeri is necessary for all foreigners who plan to spend few years in Azerbaijan (Whether study or any other purpose). This is because they need to speak in these local languages, when outside university for their daily activities.
MBBS Syllabus in Azerbaijan
The MBBS course syllabus in Azerbaijan is same across all medical universities for Indian students. It covers all the subjects that are taught in Indian colleges as well. The year wise theoretical & clinical subjects taught during MBBS in Azerbaijan are :
- 1st-2nd Year : Mostly theoretical subjects are covered during the the first 2 years of MBBS in Azerbaijan for international students. These subjects majorly include Anatomy, Histology, Physiology, Biochemistry & Microbiology.
- 3rd Year : This is year is considered to be be the most tough as it covers several theoretical subjects along with regular visits to hospitals for clinical classes as well. The main subjects taught are Microbiology, Pathology, Pharmacology, Internal Medicine, Pathological-Anatomy & Surgery.
- 4th-6th Year : The focus shifts towards clinical classes from the 4th year of MBBS in Azerbaijan. Students mostly attend classes in hospitals only and have very few of them in university. The subjects covered during these years are Surgery, Preventive & Social Medicine, Forensic Medicine, Pediatrics, Orthopedics, Gynecology & Obstetrics, ENT, Psychiatry, Dermatology, Oncology, Urology, Neurology, Infectious Diseases & Medical Laws.
Classes/Exams & Grading in Azerbaijan
Indian students’ classes for MBBS in Azerbaijan are conducted in such a way that they gain theoretical & practical knowledge simultaneously in a very efficient manner.
- MBBS classes in Azerbaijan for Indian students do not have more than 12-15 students, which is an ideal teacher to student ration for easy learning.
- Classes with less students allows each of them to directly interact with teachers without any hesitation, making it look more like a group discussion.
- Highly qualified teachers & professors are appointed to train foreign/international students, who are also very proficient in teaching in English language.
- Students learn and practice on cadaver/dead-body from the 1st year itself (like in India), unlike some other countries where dummies are used.
- The grading/marking system is based on numbers ranging from 2 to 5, where 5 means excellent & 2 means fail. Students must score min 3 (Meaning average), in order to pass a test/exam.
- During the first 2 years of MBBS in Azerbaijan, more emphasis is given on theoretical subjects. Students attend most of the classes in university campus during these years.
- In the 3rd year of MBBS course, students have few subjects’ classes left to attend in university. This is because they start attending clinical classes in hospitals, where start interact with patients as well.
- From 4th to 6th year, they attend classes in various hospitals (Depending on subject specialty) located in the city. The classes are inclined towards practical/clinical learning as students interact with local patients on a regular basis.
Hostel Facilities in Azerbaijan
The hostel facilities in Azerbaijan for Indian students are more or less the same in all medical universities of Azerbaijan. In most cases, foreign students are provided accommodation in one of the university’s government hostels. However, in some cases students have to stay in a private hostels or rent a flat/apartment by their own, until a room is available in government hostels.
- All Indian students are provided accommodation in university’s hostels for the entire period of their MBBS in Azerbaijan.
- It is compulsory to stay in university’s hostel for at least 1 year as new students don’t have knowledge of local language i.e. Azeri for communicating with locals.
- After 1 year, they can still continue to stay in university’s hostel or rent a flat/apartment with some of their friends, if they wish to leave university hostel.
- Indian boys & girls are provided accommodation in separate hostels or in completely separate blocks/wings of the same hostel.
- All university & private hostels are equipped with CCTV surveillance (At all important places in hostels) & fire alarm (In all rooms as well) safety systems for the safety of international students.
- The entry & exit times from hostel premises are 6:00 AM & 08:00 PM respectively. A security guard is always present to monitor the students & locals visiting the hostel.
- Each hostel floor has a common kitchen where Indian students can prepare food by their own. A reading hall, sports hall & laundry is available in each hostel, whether government or private.
- All rooms are equipped with furniture & beddings (study table & chair, lamps, bed, bed sheets, pillow & wardrobes). Students can get the furniture repaired by hostel administration (If damaged) and exchange the beddings every week. To keep the rooms warm during peak winters, each room is equipped with radiators (heating system for winters) as well.
- Foreign students don’t have to pay anything additional for electricity, hot/cold water & cooking gas. All these charges are included in the government/private hostel’s fee in Azerbaijan. However, these charges have to be paid additionally based on usage, when one stays in an apartment.
- Indian students can choose to between 2/3/4 seater rooms according to availability. They can change rooms later as well, by simply submitting an application to the hostel administration.
- Indian mess facility is available in some hostels in Azerbaijan, where students can enjoy delicious food prepared by Indian cooks. The charges for Indian mess range from USD 100-120 per month.
Career after MBBS from Azerbaijan
Indian students who complete their MBBS from Azerbaijan have the same career options, that students in India have after completing MBBS from any government or private medical college.
- Students can appear in NEXT (National Exit Test)/FMGE (Foreign Medical Graduates Exam or MCI Screening Test) in India, if they wish to practice as a registered doctor in India.
- They can appear in PG exam of English speaking countries (USMLE/PLAB/NZREX/GAMSAT/MCAT), if they wish to do post-graduation or work in any of those countries..
- Indian students can work as a registered doctor in Azerbaijan & several neighboring countries after completing their medical course. This opportunity is only for those Indian students, who complete their MBBS degree from Azerbaijan, as they become fluent in Azeri as well.
- Apart from working as doctors, these Indian MBBS graduates can continue further PG (Any Specialty) in Azerbaijan. As post-graduation involves clinical/practical classes, it is taught in Azeri medium only. Thus, only those Indians who complete MBBS from Azerbaijan can take PG admission in Azerbaijan universities without language course training.
About Medical Education in Azerbaijan
MBBS in Azerbaijan has gained some popularity in the past 2 years for studying MBBS abroad. The MBBS course from Azerbaijan is recognized by WHO & other international bodies (Including NMC), which makes the MBBS degree valid worldwide. An affordable MBBS fee, a recognized medical degree combined with top ranked universities, make Azerbaijan a popular destination to pursue medical education abroad.
Azerbaijan medical universities receive immense funding & support from government so as to maintain a very high standard of education. Indian students in Azerbaijan get the opportunity to participate in various exchange programs conducted by medical universities. Under these programs, they can travel to other countries of Europe and learn about new advancements in field of medicine.
The national language of Azerbaijan is Azerbaijani/Azeri, but most of the population also understands Russian language. All Indian students start learning local language from the very beginning of course. Few local people also speak and understand English quite fluently. The political and trade relations (Oil & natural gas) between India & Azerbaijan have remained good since decades. All these factors play an important role for Indian students to decide about their future of studying MBBS in Azerbaijan.
Azerbaijan (Officially known as Republic of Azerbaijan) is a transcontinental country located at the border of Eastern Europe & Western Asia. The country is surrounded by Caspian Sea in the east, Russia in the north, Georgia, Armenia & Turkey to it’s west and Iran on the south. The largest city and capital of Azerbaijan is Baku city which is situated in the eastern region of country very close to Caspian sea. The country had earlier been a part of USSR till 1991 and became independent after the dissolution of USSR in 1991.
Azerbaijan ranks 88th on the Human Development Index and has a very high rate of literacy and economic development. By 2012, Azerbaijan’s economy had increased by approx. 20 times since it’s independence from USSR in 1991. Today, the country ranks on 25th position in whole world in Ease of Doing business rank. Azerbaijan is a country that is very rich in oil and gas reserves (With Two-thirds of it’s land rich in them). The country is very famous for it’s religious, spa & health tourism. During winters, skiing in the Shahdag Mountain Resort is famous destination among foreign tourists.
The main economic, business & tourist destination is city of Baku (Capital of Azerbaijan). However, other most populated cities of the country are Sumgait, Ganja & Lankaran. The climate of Azerbaijan is dry sub-tropical one with mild to very warm summers (30 to 40 degrees Celsius) and mild winters (+3 to +4 degrees Celsius). The people of Azerbaijan are very welcoming towards foreigners. Indian students who completed their MBBS from Azerbaijan still remember their stay here as one the best of their lives till date.
FAQ’s (Frequently Asked Questions)
What are the benefits of studying MBBS in Azerbaijan ?
The main benefits of studying MBBS in Azerbaijan are : No donation, WHO recognized, government universities, high ranking, valid degree, easy eligibility, direct online admission, course duration as per NMC, English medium & a good number of Indian students.
How to apply for MBBS admission in Azerbaijan ?
Indian students can apply for MBBS admission in Azerbaijan by sending their relevant documents (Scans of 12th marksheet, NEET qualification result & passport) online to us or by visiting any of our offices in India with prior appointment.
What is the MBBS eligibility in Azerbaijan ?
The MBBS eligibility in Azerbaijan for Indian students is 50% marks in PCB in 12th (40% for reserved category), NEET qualification (In current or any of the past 2 years) & minimum 17 years age (Till 31st December of current year).
Is MBBS degree from Azerbaijan recognized & valid ?
Yes. Azerbaijan universities are recognized by WHO and listed on WDOMS too. Hence, MBBS degree from such universities is recognized globally. However, Indian students must also clear FMGE exam after returning to India, if they wish to work in India.
What is the duration of MBBS course in Azerbaijan ?
The duration of MBBS course in Azerbaijan in English medium is 5 years 8 months (Often known as 6 years). This duration includes full medical course, clinical/practical classes & internship too.
What is the medium of instruction in Azerbaijan ?
The medium of instruction of MBBS in Azerbaijan for Indian students is English for the entire 6 years course. However, students also interact with local patients in hospitals in Azerbaijani/Azeri language during clinical classes.
What is the MBBS course syllabus in Azerbaijan ?
The MBBS course syllabus in Azerbaijan is entirely similar to that in India (or any other country) and covers all the mandatory medial subjects thoroughly.
How are MBBS classes conducted in Azerbaijan ?
The MBBS classes in Azerbaijan for Indian students are conducted in small groups of less than 15 students. Students attend most of their classes in university during the first 2 years. But from 3rd year onwards, they visit hospitals for most of their clinical/practical classes.
What are the hostel facilities in Azerbaijan for Indians ?
Indian students in Azerbaijan are provided accommodation in one of the government hostels owned by university. Each room is equipped with furniture, beddings & radiators. Students do not have to pay separately for electricity, hot/cold water & cooking gas.
What are career opportunities after MBBS from Azerbaijan ?
The career opportunities for Indian students after MBBS from Azerbaijan are to : work in India (After clearing FMGE/NExT) as a doctor, pursue PG in India/English speaking countries (USA/Canada/UK/Australia/NZ), working in Azerbaijan as a doctor (Without any exam) or pursue PG in Azerbaijan (In any specialty) as well.